The suspected child-killer who was rearrested in Jos after escaping from police custody in Port Harcourt says hunger forced him to come out of his hiding place.
Ifeanyi Dike, the 23-year-old undergraduate of the University of Port Harcourt who allegedly killed his eight-year-old niece for ritual purposes, has explained that hunger and his search for food led to his re-arrest in Jos, Plateau State.
Dike who had initially escaped from police custody after he was arrested for abducting, raping and killing the young victim and removing vital parts of her body parts including the eyes, tongue, breasts, fingers and private in Rivers State, on August 19, 2017, was re-arrested in Jos on September 8, and taken back to Rivers.
The suspected ritual killer who was paraded on Monday, September 11, confessed that hunger and his search for food made it possible for him to be arrested when he came out of his hideout.
Dike, a 200-level Physics student, narrated that after escaping from police custody in Port Harcourt, he moved to Jos and was in hiding before hunger forced him to go out in search of food.
He said that he had stayed in the hide out for several days without food but when he could no longer bear the hunger, he was forced to go out in search of food which made it possible for him to be captured for the second time.
He added that the injuries he sustained before he was first arrested in Port Harcourt made it difficult for him to move easily to search for food.
“I am a student of UNIPORT. When I got to Jos, I started hiding again even though I know that nobody knows me there.
When I got to Jos, due to my injuries, I was not able to go out and get better food to eat. I stayed for several days without food. I was living in an uncompleted building in that place but I could not endure anymore because I was hungry.
When I decided to go out and get some food, I was caught. They (policemen) were interrogating me and because I was fed up, I gave them my aunt’s phone number.
When the policeman that was interrogating me called my aunt, my aunt told him that they had declared me wanted. My aunt went further to call the police; when she called the police, she handed my IPO’s number to him [the police].
It was then the police now called my IPO to confirm if I was the person. When they now confirmed that I was the person, I was detained and then brought back to Port Harcourt on Sunday."
On how he managed to escape from police custody in Port Harcourt, Dike exonerated the Investigating Police Officer [IPO], Sgt. Johnbosco Okere [who has since been dismissed and charged to court], of aiding him, adding that it was a power outage that gave him the opportunity to flee.
Continuing, he said:
“At the State CID, after my statement was taken, it was late and there was no light. So, my IPO told me to go inside the cell. That was how I got the opportunity to run away. The IPO did not know when I ran away from the State CID. I am very sorry for what I did.”
The father of the victim, Dr. Ernest Nmezuwuba, also narrated how he was informed by an operative of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad in Jos through the phone that his daughter’s suspected killer had been rearrested.
“I was the one that even called the DCP when SARS called me from Jos. I gave the name of the person that called before they began to make moves.
They had to take Ifeanyi Dike’s photograph in Jos, sent it to the DCP and forwarded it to me.
I want the police to do a thorough investigation because, in Ifeanyi’s statement, he said he was sent by a person and the person is in police custody now. The person is Ugochukwu.
In all Ifeanyi’s statement, he [Ugochukwu] is the one he mentioned. The evidence is there and the DPO that has been making calls. All his calls are recorded.
It is not only Ifeanyi; a lot of things are coming. Whoever feels that what happened is okay with him, let him feel it too. What I need is justice. All those involved in this crime should be arrested. I thank God. This re-arrest of Ifeanyi Dike is the work of God.”
Dr. Nmezuwuba also pleaded with the police to carry out a thorough investigation into the circumstances that led to the gruesome murder of his daughter, insisting that Dike was not the only person involved in the ritual killing of his child.
The State Police Commissioner, Ahmed Zaki, while parading Dike, thanked the media for their endless coverage of the matter, adding that such efforts have helped in the re-arrest of the suspect.
“Today, with profound humility, I present to you the most wanted suspected ritual killer, Mr. Ifeanyichukwu Maxwell Dike. His re-arrest was made possible by God almighty, through your numerous prayers and concerns, following his escape three weeks ago.
I wish to assure you that justice will not only be done but be seen to be done in the circumstance to bring the full weight of the law to bear on him or any other person implicated in the course of further Investigation."
The suspect who was in tears at the parade, pleaded for forgiveness, blaming the devil for his actions.
“I know what I have done is wrong. I don't know what pushed me into it. It was the work of the devil. I know that the world is not happy with me but I want to say I am sorry.”
CP Zaki has assured that Dike will be arraigned in court as soon as the police conclude its investigations into the matter.
from pulse.ng - Gist http://ift.tt/2h1wFno